Saturday, October 23, 2021

Apple says a defunct game should have had to load every time someone wasn’t sure it was on

Must read

“Why do you need to open a game to check up on [Gamestop employee] number one?” “Why is the game suspended and where are you hiding the money?” “Are you Robocop or Knight Rider? What is the secret?” “Where is a gun store?”

That’s just a taste of the “waste of time” found in a Super Mario Bros. arcade game given to the first person shooter “Maniac Mansion” for Apple’s early arcades. In a lawsuit filed earlier this year, director and producer of “The Ruling” Brendan Kennedy said that his game was unfairly shut down because Apple believes that developers should have to leave a game running and accessible to other players while they wait for a connection to connection to connect.

The penalty, Kennedy says, is cost-prohibitive for small developers like him.

In an appeal filed in San Francisco Federal Court late last week, Apple argued that many apps use third-party systems. Apple argues that when developers believe they are providing complete access to the iPhone’s 3D capabilities (which they say they are), they must disclose that feature to Apple.

But Kennedy’s team called Apple’s argument “ridiculous.” According to their argument, Apple’s attempts to block “Maniac Mansion” with a so-called user error limitation are not valid.

We at The New York Times agreed with that assessment in an editorial this week.

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals will hear arguments in the case later this month. But don’t expect Apple to cave.

It wants developers to connect to its system constantly, and it believes this new law will help keep developers and their customers happy. Those happy customers include Apple’s largest users: developers.

More articles

Latest article